Security in Nonthaburi park tightened after two joggers poisoned
Nonthaburi municipal officials were sent to a public park, located in the government complex, to survey sites for the installation of more surveillance cameras on Saturday, after two joggers were poisoned, apparently by con men.
According to Nonthaburi provincial police, two joggers fell unconscious after drinking water from their own water bottles, which had been left temporarily unattended.
The perpetrators, who the police believe operate as a team, used a syringe to inject a sedative substance, believed to be the animal sedative Xylazine, into the plastic containers. When the joggers returned, and took a sip of the water, they rapidly lost consciousness. Then the gang stole their personal effects.
According to the police, two joggers have been poisoned so far, with one of them in a serious condition, spending 3 days in an ICU.
Nonthaburi governor, Mr. Suchin Chaichumsak, told the media that he has ordered more lighting and CCTV cameras to be installed in the park and the guards to step up patrols in the park.
Joggers and visitors to the park have been warned not to leave their water bottles unattended.
Pol Maj-Gen Paisarn Wongwatchamongkon, the provincial police commander, said he was confident that they will catch the perpetrators soon.
Water samples from the victims’ bottles were tested and found to contain Xylazine, which is colorless and tasteless and quickly absorbed by the body.