Reopening of Phuket and Surat Thani to foreign tourists confirmed for July
Thailand’s cabinet has confirmed that Phuket will reopen to fully vaccinated tourists on July 1st, under the “Phuket Sandbox” project, as planned. Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao, in Surat Thani province, will follow a similar model on July 15th, said Government spokesperson Anucha Burapachaisri today (Tuesday).
Incoming tourists will be required to present their Certification of Entry (CoE) to Thailand, register themselves through www.entrythailand.go.th, and install the “Thailand Plus” and other local apps (in the case of Phuket the “Mor Chana” app) upon arrival, so that their locations can be tracked.
They will also have to undergo a COVID-19 test, either at the airport, their hotel or at a checkpoint. Tourists in Phuket with negative results can travel anywhere on the island. They will have to stay at SHA+ certified hotels for a minimum of 14 days before being allowed to travel elsewhere in Thailand.
Tourists on Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao will have to stay at their hotel for the first three days. During Day 4-7, they will be allowed along sealed routes. After that, during the second week, they can travel the islands freely. Two RT-PCR tests will be conducted on the 6th or 7th and on the 12th or 13th days.
Before departing the islands, tourists are required to present evidence of their stays at SHA+ hotels and their COVID-19 negative results.
Phuket has set up a committee for Immigration Control, to monitor foreign and domestic tourists entering and leaving the province.
Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao in Surat Thani will also impose control over arrivals and departures by air and sea.
Meanwhile, Phuket has further eased restrictions as follows:
– Schools and educational institutes can open as usual.
– Malls and community malls can open as usual but amusement parks and game zones will remain closed.
– Restaurants can stay open until 11 pm. Alcohol beverages can be served. Bars and pubs will remain closed.
– Supermarkets and convenience stores can open as usual.
– Snooker, pool or billiard tables outside of households can only be used between 15.00 – 23.00.
– Computer and online game shops can open as usual.
– Cinemas, theatres and water parks can open as usual. Amusement parks can only be open between 16.00-20.00.