6 June 2024

Foreign Minister Parnpree Bahiddha-Nukara confirmed today that one Thai worker was killed and 8 others injured in the violent attacks on Israel by Hamas militant groups on Saturday.

He also said 11 Thai workers have also been kidnapped.

Speaking at a press conference, Parnpree said five of those injured are being hospitalized and the Thai Embassy in Israel is in communication with Israeli authorities for information on the Thais who have been kidnapped.

Labour Affairs Minister Pipat Ratchakitprakarn, meanwhile, quoted the Thai labour attache in Tel Aviv as confirming that 11 Thai workers were among those kidnapped by Hamas militants which launched the surprise attacks in the Gaza Strip on Saturday.

“But we still don’t have information as to where they are being detained,” he said.

Pipat said all the Thai workers injured have been given medical care and are being hospitalized.

There are about 5,000 Thais working in areas in Gaza Strip while there are as many as 29,900 Thais working in Israel, he said.

Pipat said the Royal Thai Air Force has aircraft on stand-by for a possible evacuation of Thai workers in Israel. “We are ready to fly back Thai workers who want to come back. But we need to wait until Israel, which is now in a state of lockdown, reopens its airspace and give us permission to land our planes there,” he said.

Pipat said the Labour Affairs Ministry has been in contact with families to the Thai workers who are being detained by the Hamas militants to update them on the situation.

Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin said earlier this morning that he had given his personal phone number to the Thai Ambassador to Israel Pannabha Chandraramya so that he could be given constant updates on the situation.

The Thai government on Saturday issued a statement to condemn the Hamas attacks on Israel.

“We express our deepest condolences to the government and people of Israel on the unfortunate loss of lives and injuries caused by this this inhumane and indiscriminate act,” it said.
Srettha earlier posted a message on social media platform X to condemn the “inhumane attacks”.