23 May 2024

More than 100 people suffered eye, throat and skin irritations after being exposed to a high concentration of ammonia, following an explosion at an ice factory in Bang Lamung district of Chon Buri late Wednesday night.

Emergency officials said that some of the victims fainted after inhaling ammonia and were given first aid treatment at the scene, before being taken to several hospitals in Bang Lamung, Pattaya, Si Racha and Laem Chabang.

The explosion at the ice factory in Nong Prue sub-district caused ammonia, which was stored at the facility, to leak into the atmosphere and spread over a one kilometre radius of the factory.

The ammonia gas spread into a neighbourhood opposite the factory, affecting many people who suffered skin, throat and eye irritations. District officials and emergency workers helped to evacuate residents to safety, more than a kilometre from the ice factory.

Local officials then cordoned off areas within a one kilometre radius of the factory, as firemen wearing gas masks tried to stop the ammonia leak.

With the help of factory workers, it took them about three hours to stop the leak.

District health officials later advised people in the neighbourhood of the factory not to consume food which might have been exposed to ammonia and to see a doctor or a health official immediately if they develop breathing problems, eye or skin irritations.