11 July 2024

Thailand recorded six new COVID-19 cases today, all among returnees from abroad in state quarantine.

According to the CCSA, the new infections include two people arriving from the United States, three from Singapore and one from the UK.

Cumulative infections in Thailand, to date, are 3,444 with 3,281 recoveries and 58 deaths.  105 others are still being treated in hospital.

Globally, cumulative infections, as of 9am Sunday, are 27,061,326, while the death toll has risen to 883,707 with 19,161,902 recoveries. Thailand now ranks in 122nd place in term of infections.

COVID-19 tests conducted on 24 staff members of a café on Khao Sarn Road in Bangkok, and 14 others at a restaurant in Nonthaburi province, showed negative results, said Dr. Suwanchai Wattanayingcharoenchai on Sunday.

He said, however, that health officials are awaiting test results for another staff member of the Three Days and Two Nights restaurant in Nonthaburi province, adding that all 25 of them are being isolated in local state quarantine in the Bang Kruey district of Nonthaburi province.

Fourteen staff members of the First Café on Khao Sarn Road have been cleared of the virus, but the 15th developed a fever yesterday and was sent to the Central Hospital for observation and further tests, which returned a negative result.

Altogether 708 people, who were in close contact with an infected DJ, who is currently in detention, have been traced. 140 of them are classified as being at high risk.

The infected DJ is now being treated in a Corrections Department hospital and health investigators suspect that he might have contracted the virus from an asymptomatic case.

Meanwhile, Ranong Provincial Governor Jatuporn Piyumputra dismissed, as groundless, a report that one prisoner died of COVID-19 infection in prison Sunday night.

A rumour is reported to be circulating, in the northernmost province of Mae Hong Son, claiming that a refugee, at a camp in Muang district, had died of the virus.

Mr. Pongpira Chuchuen, the Muang district chief officer, said he had instructed officials to find the source of the rumour, so that legal action can be taken.

He said that people with ill-intent had spread fake news about COVID-19 infections on social media, in a way that caused panic among local people.