PM to head Thai government’s economic team
After having delegated responsibility for running the country’s economy to Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak for the past five years, the Prime Minister has decided to replace Somkid and head the economic team himself.
However, Dr. Somkid and the other four deputy prime ministers are still part of the economic team and they have been assigned to oversee specific ministries.
- Deputy Prime Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan is to oversee Interior, Digital Economy for Society, Labour and Natural Resources and Environment ministries, National Intelligence Agency, National Security Council, Southern Border Provinces Administration Centre and Land Management Institute.
- Somkid is to oversee Finance, Foreign Affairs, Energy, Industry and University Education and Innovations ministries and the Village Fund.
- Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngarm is to oversee Justice, with the exception of the Department of Special Investigation, and the Culture and Education ministries.
- Deputy Prime Minister Jurin Laksanavisit is to oversee Commerce, Agriculture and Social Development and Human Security ministries.
- Deputy Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul will oversee Public Health, Transport and Tourism and Sports ministries.
Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha told his cabinet at their first meeting today that there must be no corruption in his government. He also reminded his ministers, representing the coalition parties, of the need for them to work as a team to translate government policies into action, likening his government to a rowing boat in which everybody must row together and in the same direction.