Thailand records 315 new COVID-19 cases on Sunday
COVID-19 infections in Thailand increase by 315 today, compared to yesterday’s 216, bringing the total to 7,694, since the first outbreak early last year.
CCSA spokesman Dr. Taweesin Wissanuyothin said that, of the 315 new cases, 294 were locally-acquired and 21 are arrivals from abroad in state quarantine. The death toll remains 64 and 4,337 have recovered.
He noted that, in the past two weeks alone, several thousand new cases have been recorded, adding that 234 of today’s new cases were among those under investigation, including 37 cases linked to Samut Sakhon and the illegal gambling activities in Chon Buri province.
Dr. Taweesin said that the CCSA has adjusted the new lockdown restrictions, to be proposed to Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha for approval tomorrow.
Instead of banning customers from dining inside restaurants, as earlier considered, he said that the CCSA has decided to allow dining-in, but would impose other measures to ensure maximum safety for customers adding, however, that alcoholic drinks cannot be served on the premises.
As for travel restrictions, he said that the CCSA has not proposed a ban on interprovincial travel, but will seek cooperation from motorists to postpone such journeys, unless they are absolutely necessary.
28 provinces, including Bangkok, have now been declared COVID Red Zones.
Dr. Taweesin explained that the CCSA has not used the word “lockdown”, to describe the restrictive measures adopted or to be adopted, because it does not want to trigger negativepsychological effects on the people and the national economy.
He asked for public understanding if some provinces have to resort to tougher restrictions than others, because each province faces different situations.
Today marks the first anniversary of the discovery of the first COVID-19 case in Thailand, at Suvarnabhumi international airport, and Dr. Taweesin said that Thailand has now opened a “new form of battle front, which is more serious” as he urged members of the public to raise their guard a bit higher.
In Chiang Rai province, the provincial health office today announced some good news, saying that the last three COVID-19 cases, under treatment in hospital, have recovered and have been discharged from hospital.
Since the start of the recent outbreak, on November 28th, which was apparently caused by illegal Thai returnees from Myanmar, of the initial 64 people infected, none remain in hospital or state quarantine facilities for the first time in over a month, according to the health office.