Lampang to continue to face minor aftershocks for about a month
The northern province of Lampang will continue to be shaken by minor aftershocks for about a month after a 4.9 magnitude tremor with its epic-centre in Wang Nua district struck the province on Wednesday, said Mr Sommai Techavarn, director-general of Mineral Resources Department, today.
However, he said that the aftershocks, categorized as second- and third-degree tremors, would be very weak and would not be felt by the people.
Mr Sommai himself will visit Lampang province to hold discussions with officials concerned in order to map out preventive measures in case there is a major tremor.
He said that close monitoring of the behavior of the Phayao fault line did not find any worrisome signs that the 90-km long Phayao fault line had been seriously affected by the recent quake.
About 60 houses in Wang Nua district which located in the epic-centre of the quake on Wednesday sustained damage, but there were no casualties.
Meanwhile, Mr Suvit Kuosuwan, a special geologist attached to the Mineral Resources Department, explained that the Wednesday’s quake in Wang Nua district was caused by the movement of an earth plate which impacted on the Phayao fault line. However, he said that the movement of the earth plate appeared to have stopped.