11 July 2024

All 437 municipal schools and 292 nurseries operated by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) have been ordered closed for 11 days, as 121 more new COVID-19 cases were recorded this late afternoon in Samut Sakhon province.

City Hall spokesman Pongsakorn Kwanmuang said that the temporary closure is intended to reduce social activity among children, to prevent the spread of coronavirus, adding that city officials, except those responsible for providing services directly to the public, such as the issuance of new ID cards, have been told to work from home.

He urged other government agencies and private companies to allow their staff to work from home as well, to reduce travelling and the risk of being exposed to the virus.

Samut Sakhon Deputy Governor Surasak Pholyoungsong told the media, late this afternoon, that an additional 121 new COVID-19 cases had been recorded, bringing total infections in the province to 1,184.

9,417 people have been tested, with 5,292 results being released and, of these, 1,184 (22%) have tested positive for the virus. Of those, 55 are Thais and the rest are Myanmar migrant workers. 76 of the infected are being treated in hospitals, including four migrant workers.

Mr. Surasak said that health officials will continue their active swab testing, to achieve their target of 10,300.

At the central shrimp market, which is the source of the latest outbreak, he said that medical staff, from the Bangkok-based Bumrungrad Hospital, have been coordinating with local health officials to arrange for the accommodation and food of migrant workers, who have been confined in the market as part of the containment measures adopted by the provincial administration.

A Korean BBQ outlet, in the Siam Centre shopping district, has been closed for three days, starting today, for a major cleanup and disinfection after one of the staff was found to be infected, following his recent visit to Samut Sakhon province. The rest of the staff were suspended from work for 14 days for self-observation at home.

All remaining staff have undergone swab tests and have been cleared of the infection.